Gosowong, also known as the Gosowong Site, is the mining area managed by PT Nusa Halmahera Minerals (NHM) in North Halmahera Regency, North Maluku Province. The name “Gosowong” originated from the word “Gasuong,” which refers to one of the rivers near PT NHM’s mining area. In the Kao Language, spoken by the native tribe of North Halmahera, “Ake Gasuong” translates to Gasuong River. Over time, this area has become widely known as Gosowong.
Gosowong holds significant recognition among the provincial and regency administrations, as well as the local community residing near the mining site, who often refer to it by this name in their dialects. It serves as the primary workplace for NHM employees and contractors. These individuals hail from various regions, including North Maluku Province, specifically the North Halmahera Regency, as well as other provinces across Indonesia. Additionally, a small number of expatriate workers are also present at the Gosowong site. It acts as a hub, accommodating employees and working partners from nearly all provinces in Indonesia.
Currently, PT Indotan Halmahera Bangkit holds a 75% ownership stake in NHM, while the remaining 25% is owned by PT Aneka Tambang Tbk (Antam).