PT Nusa Halmahera Minerals (NHM) is a mining company that operates the Gosowong Gold Mine, which is situated on Halmahera Island in the eastern part of Indonesia. NHM holds a Contract of Work with the Government of Indonesia for this operation. PT Indotan Halmahera Bangkit owns the majority shares of NHM (75%), while the remaining 25% of shares are owned by PT Aneka Tambang Tbk (Antam).

History of NHM

TThe history of NHM dates back to 1994 when Newcrest Mining Ltd., an Australian mining company, and Antam established a joint venture to explore gold reserves on Halmahera Island. In that same year, the venture achieved remarkable success by discovering economically valuable gold reserves in the Gosowong area.

In 1997, Newcrest and Antam came together to establish NHM. Subsequently, on April 28, 1997, the Government of Indonesia and NHM signed a Contract of Work. As a result, the first gold production occurred in July 1999 through the Gosowong open mining.

NHM presently operates in a 29,622-hectare area located in North Halmahera, North Maluku Province, under the Contract of Work. The Gosowong Gold Mine has completed its open mining method and currently employs two units of underground mining – the Kencana and Toguraci mines. These units combine the underground mining methods of cut and fill and stoping for their mining operations.

Gosowong Under Indotan

In 2020, PT Indotan Halmahera Bangkit, led by H. Robert Nitiyudo Wachjo, acquired the majority shares of NHM from Newcrest. After twenty-five years of operation, the new management of NHM, under Indotan, is determined to prioritize occupational health and safety, environmental protection, and optimum productivity. Moreover, they are actively committed to contributing to community empowerment, particularly to those residing in the vicinity of the company’s mining operation, or within the ring area of NHM’s mine.